We are safe, really!
Hi!
Okay, today I woke up at 3:30 am to the sound of Jill knocking on my door. I had thought I had slept in and was late for school . . . . but oh no! Jill was coming to relay a message to me about the military take-over in Bangkok. There were rumours that communication would be cut off at 4am, so Jill wanted me to know the scoop so that I could call home. It's so weird, because Ilda's mom is the one that notified us in Thailand - we had no idea! I guess because we don't have a t.v., radio, or can understand the papers! Apparantly, the current Prime Minister and his government is corrupt, and the military decided to seize control of the government offices in downtown Bangkok, by surrounding the buildings with tanks. They found this to be the ideal time, as the Prime Minister is in New York. Now, DON'T WORRY! We are about an hour away from where this is taking place. AND a military coup has occured before with no casualties. Where we live is considered the suburbs . . . In fact, Jill and I have been wandering around because schools are shut down as a precaution.
Now, on a lighter note . . . . I just bought some watermelon from a street vendor for 10 baht (about 30 cents). It was YUMMY!!! As for the street vendors, I haven't worked up the courage to try the "mystery" meat-on-a-stick (it's everywhere!), or the gross-looking fish. As you probably know; I'm not the biggest fan of fish - okay, I HATE it! So everywhere I look, I seem to see fish balls, or full fish - seasoned, with the scales and eyes. YUCK! I know you're probably thinking . . . "but Krista, you need to be adventerous - try new things". On Sunday, Jill and I were in a grocery store, and there were food samples . . . so we tried crocodile!!! Trust me, it was a really tiny piece! *whew* It tasted like fishy chicken.
Well, that's about it for the update . . . .
Thanks for reading all the way to the end!!!
Thinking of you! Take care.
Okay, today I woke up at 3:30 am to the sound of Jill knocking on my door. I had thought I had slept in and was late for school . . . . but oh no! Jill was coming to relay a message to me about the military take-over in Bangkok. There were rumours that communication would be cut off at 4am, so Jill wanted me to know the scoop so that I could call home. It's so weird, because Ilda's mom is the one that notified us in Thailand - we had no idea! I guess because we don't have a t.v., radio, or can understand the papers! Apparantly, the current Prime Minister and his government is corrupt, and the military decided to seize control of the government offices in downtown Bangkok, by surrounding the buildings with tanks. They found this to be the ideal time, as the Prime Minister is in New York. Now, DON'T WORRY! We are about an hour away from where this is taking place. AND a military coup has occured before with no casualties. Where we live is considered the suburbs . . . In fact, Jill and I have been wandering around because schools are shut down as a precaution.
Now, on a lighter note . . . . I just bought some watermelon from a street vendor for 10 baht (about 30 cents). It was YUMMY!!! As for the street vendors, I haven't worked up the courage to try the "mystery" meat-on-a-stick (it's everywhere!), or the gross-looking fish. As you probably know; I'm not the biggest fan of fish - okay, I HATE it! So everywhere I look, I seem to see fish balls, or full fish - seasoned, with the scales and eyes. YUCK! I know you're probably thinking . . . "but Krista, you need to be adventerous - try new things". On Sunday, Jill and I were in a grocery store, and there were food samples . . . so we tried crocodile!!! Trust me, it was a really tiny piece! *whew* It tasted like fishy chicken.
Well, that's about it for the update . . . .
Thanks for reading all the way to the end!!!
Thinking of you! Take care.

3 Comments:
suck it up and try the "mystery meat"....it might be good! And thanks for the update about the coup!!
By
Anonymous, at 1:18 PM
Hi Krista
Hope all is well with you. News in this part of the world suggests the military coup is a peaceful exercise which has the approval of the King and majority of the Thai public. Doesn't sound like you should be concerned for safety, but how is the situation locally?
Everything is fine at home, and we are getting ready for winter, as the temps are staring to be in the range of 2 at night, and 15 during the day. You know the usual, shut down sprinklers, move all the back garage stuff, etc. My golf and bike days are coming to an end. Mom and I are helping Grandma move into a new apartment tonight, Soda is staying home to have a nap. Some kid threw stones on the grass, what should I do ?
Love, Dad
By
Anonymous, at 1:07 AM
Dear Krista:
You know me, I have to start off with an apology. Sorry for the delay in sending you a message on this awesome "website" but I have to wait for someone with computer knowledge to come home and help me.
Uncle G and I, as well as M & P are all so relieved to hear that you are safe. It must have been scary when you first heard about the military coup. Hopefully everything will be resolved peacefully. We love you lots and are thinking about you and all the wonderful adventures you will be having.
Love, Auntie C and Uncle G
By
Anonymous, at 9:06 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home