Krista in Thailand

Monday, October 02, 2006

Suntanning, Watermelon Shakes, and an Elephant?!


Hi!

I hope this finds you well! It's surreal to think that I've been away for just 2 weeks . . . somedays, it feels like I've been here much longer! Don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I'm really saddened by all the stray dogs here . . . . it's said that there are over 120,000 strays in Bangkok. It's so sad to see them around - so dirty and unloved. It makes me miss Soda so much more!

This past weekend, 6 of us went to Ko Samet. We had to take cabs, the sky-train, a bus, and a speed boat to get to the island. And it was worth it!!!! The amount of traffic in Bangkok is unbelievable . . . it took us forever just to get out of the city! We travelled for over 4 hours! The island is so amazing! White sand and clear water . . . . and of course I forgot it was SALT water! I kept licking my lips - YUCK!!! And yes, Leah, I had a bunch of Watermelon shakes. I think I'm officially addicted to them!! Yummy! I finally got to see Ilda and Louis! It was so great to see them. Ilda's mom was in from Winnipeg, so she was getting the "star treatment" on the beach - massage, manicure/pedicure, etc.

Sad news: my friend got her purse stolen - with EVERYTHING in it!!! Passport, bank card, visa, camera, phone, keys, etc. We're hoping that things will get sorted out fast, as we have a trip planned for the last 2 weeks of October.

While waiting for the bus, we saw a man walking an elephant down the street. And of course, I just had to feed him! (the elephant, not the man! ha ha ha)

Check out the pics on the link!

Stay well. Keep me posted with things. I love to hear about you all.

10 Comments:

  • Hi Krista!
    Cheryl let me know about your blog, and I was excited to check it out. It sounds like you're already having an amazing adventure. The pictures are incredible. I'm interested in your school. There are three different links on your school website. Which one is yours? What are the kids like & what grades do you teach? What is your apartment like? I'm so interested in your experiences over there! Lets keep in touch.
    Julia

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:10 AM  

  • Hey cuz!!!
    I love checking up on your blog, I'm ridiculously jealous and i think it's soo awsome what you're doing. How much have you been teaching so far? Keep on exploring & petting exotic animals haha.
    Miss you & Love you Krista.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:32 AM  

  • I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the watermelon shakes...imagine they would be like 6 bucks here at BOOSTER JUICE!! That is a very cute elephant...you didn't keep him did you?I can't wait to hear about your next trip!! And could you please post some pics of Bangkok? Thanks! love you and miss you tons!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:00 AM  

  • Hi Krista!

    Thanks for sharing your big adventure! First monkeys, then elephants...I can't wait to hear what's next!! Thanks for the pictures on your blog.

    Love you bunches,
    Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:02 AM  

  • Hi Krista!

    Looks like Thailand is showing you a great time! It's starting to get damp and chilly here and we could sure use some of your sunshine! Keep the adventures coming, miss you laughs!

    Cheryl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:18 PM  

  • Hi Krista!

    Looks like Thailand is showing you a great time! It's starting to get damp and chilly here and we could sure use some of your sunshine! Keep the adventures coming, miss you laughs!

    Cheryl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:18 PM  

  • Hello Krista,
    Congrats on your graduation!!
    Looks like you are having a blast in Thailand so far! Glad your ma told us about this site ... love to keep up with your adventure every few days and love to see the photos! I have had other friends and relatives go there and alot of the pic have been very different ... there must be just so much to see. Great that you are able to get lots of time to explore there too.
    cousin Jacqueline
    from cowtown, Calgary

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:00 PM  

  • Hey Krista,

    Wow, what an adventure!! It sounds like you are having such a great experience. I'm jeleous. We are all great here. Eston is almost 8 months and is now crawling around, I can't keep up with him...he is a little monkey! I love to read your experiences, keep the pictures coming!!

    Miss ya,

    Terri

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:32 PM  

  • Hi Ms.w
    It's selina I just wanted to say hi and give you a shout. Mr.willows is a pretty good teacher. And I really enjoyed your gummy worms. but we still never got all of them. your also lucky to of seen those monkeys and a elephant. well I do miss you hopefully I'll see you again next year. Bye Selina.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:14 AM  

  • I dont know bubt you said you were addicted to watermelon shakes, and i am addicted to margaritas(with no alcohal that is)
    Stefanie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home