Month in Review . . .
Hi everyone!
Okay, just thought I’d do a quick entry . . . . . we are leaving for Malaysia tonight and will be returning on Sunday, October 29th. I’m not really sure if I will encounter internet access while we’re away, so I thought now would be a good time to do my weekly entry.
Did you know that I’ve officially been here for a month already?! That’s crazy! I thought I’d share some things that I’ve learned during my first month . . . . .
Thai people are extremely respectful: children are expected to “wai” elders. This is a greeting (or sometimes a thank you), where you hold your hands palm to palm at about chest level and bow your head. It is common for people to “wai” those that are at a higher level, so we are reminded to “wai” the director of the school, though I’ve only seen her once. As well, cashiers at the local store “wai” customers. On the issue of respect: it’s a bit of a contradiction while waiting in line . . . . there is NO such thing!!! People will just barge in front of you, not noticing the “so-called” line.
There is a hierarchy on skin colour for Thai people: the whiter you are, the better. I’ve seen people completely covered from head to toe, just to avoid the sunlight. This means: jeans/long pants, long sleeved shirts, leather jackets, gloves, and umbrellas. There is “whitening” in all health care products: from toothpaste to deodorant to skin cream to lip balm!
You need to have ‘nerves of steel’ to drive in Bangkok. OH MY! I have seen so many hazardous things happening on the road – there are virtually no rules: I’ve seen motorcycles between lanes of traffic (see pics), busses packed so full that the door won’t close – people are standing on the steps and have to get off to accommodate those leaving or getting on, and drivers swerving in and out of lanes - but surprisingly, a lot of drivers use signals! And you know how everyone complains about the cyclists on the sidewalks in Winnipeg?! Well, as a pedestrian in Bangkok, you have to manoeuvre around stray dogs, food vendors, clothing hawkers, cyclists, motorcycles/scooters, AND parked cars – yes on the sidewalk!!!!!
Thanks for your support. Talk to you soon!
Okay, just thought I’d do a quick entry . . . . . we are leaving for Malaysia tonight and will be returning on Sunday, October 29th. I’m not really sure if I will encounter internet access while we’re away, so I thought now would be a good time to do my weekly entry.
Did you know that I’ve officially been here for a month already?! That’s crazy! I thought I’d share some things that I’ve learned during my first month . . . . .
Thai people are extremely respectful: children are expected to “wai” elders. This is a greeting (or sometimes a thank you), where you hold your hands palm to palm at about chest level and bow your head. It is common for people to “wai” those that are at a higher level, so we are reminded to “wai” the director of the school, though I’ve only seen her once. As well, cashiers at the local store “wai” customers. On the issue of respect: it’s a bit of a contradiction while waiting in line . . . . there is NO such thing!!! People will just barge in front of you, not noticing the “so-called” line.
There is a hierarchy on skin colour for Thai people: the whiter you are, the better. I’ve seen people completely covered from head to toe, just to avoid the sunlight. This means: jeans/long pants, long sleeved shirts, leather jackets, gloves, and umbrellas. There is “whitening” in all health care products: from toothpaste to deodorant to skin cream to lip balm!
You need to have ‘nerves of steel’ to drive in Bangkok. OH MY! I have seen so many hazardous things happening on the road – there are virtually no rules: I’ve seen motorcycles between lanes of traffic (see pics), busses packed so full that the door won’t close – people are standing on the steps and have to get off to accommodate those leaving or getting on, and drivers swerving in and out of lanes - but surprisingly, a lot of drivers use signals! And you know how everyone complains about the cyclists on the sidewalks in Winnipeg?! Well, as a pedestrian in Bangkok, you have to manoeuvre around stray dogs, food vendors, clothing hawkers, cyclists, motorcycles/scooters, AND parked cars – yes on the sidewalk!!!!!
Thanks for your support. Talk to you soon!

3 Comments:
I hope you girls are having fun in Malaysia!! I can't wait to see the pictures and to hear about the animals you will no doubt say "hi" to. Enjoy your holidays and keep up the stories! Have a great time and be careful on those CRAZY sidewalks!!
love you and miss you lots!!
By
Anonymous, at 6:40 AM
Hi. I was reading your blog and I found that it was really different in Thailand, than in Winnipeg. Im not up on my World studies, so im not sure if they speak a different language. The origin with the bowing sounds kind of chinese! I hope you are having fun in Thailand. Things are going great in Winnipeg. Im going to be a clown for halloween. Do they have halloween in Thailand??? Thank you so much for the letter. Mrs.Procak read it to all of us.
I Hope that you have a lot of fun, and keep writing to us.
From Stefanie
and
the class of
6 P/R
By
Anonymous, at 10:36 AM
Stefanie (again) =P
hi Ms.W, I really had never introduced myself, but now i will. I was in Mrs.Forsyths class last year and I saw you around the building a lot. You were always really nice to me. I would also like to say my class, and I really enjoyed the gummy worms! We spent like 1/2 hour looking at the faces on them!!! Thanks so much for the gummmy worms. Chantel and Emily also wanted to say that they really enjoyed the treats you always brought the class. We are so sad that you left, but at least we can contact you. Ill write later, bye!!!
By
Anonymous, at 10:49 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home