2nd Month down, how many to go?!
Hi!
I just wanted to check in . . . hope all is well with everyone.
Wow! I can’t believe I’ve been here for 2 months already! I just got my uniform yesterday . . . we were fitted last week. I decided to get 3 shirts and 2 skirts. They are really well made and the shirts have the Lertlah logo on them . . . now I look like ‘part of the team’ around here.
I am finally working with students now. I am the resource/reading teacher for grade 1 to 6. I’m working with 5 students per class and they come to see me once/week (not nearly enough!). My plan is to do phonological work, conversational practice, and reading. So far, I’ve assessed all the students that I will be working with and it’s been interesting to see their abilities. I hope that the students will feel more comfortable in a small group setting and will therefore take risks when using the English language. It has been a bit of a struggle to determine what exactly they’re trying to say, especially with the younger students! The older students are fun – a bit more confident with the language and more willing to express themselves.
Every morning, the students assemble outside and say their pledges and sing the song of the king. Once a week, us foreign teachers have to go out to do an English activity for ALL the students. I did this during October camp and enjoyed it. Nicole suckered me into helping her last week and I was such a nerd. We have to speak into a microphone and it’s broadcast inside the school and out. We played “Miss Krista says . . .” (my own take on Simon Says). It was fun. Nicole said that I really worked the mic . . . . and one of her students said I was silly. I’ve been nominated to do the activity everyday now . . . not sure if that’s good or bad! But now, the students recognize me in the halls and “wai” me or give me a high five and greet me. So cute!
This past weekend, we went to Hua Hin, which is about 3 hours away. We went there for my first weekend away. It’s quite nice, though the water reminds me of a salty Lake Winnipeg. . . . not nearly as clear as other beaches we’ve visited. Kelly got stung on the face by a jelly fish, we used vinegar to ease the pain. We went to a night market and on Sunday, we hung out at the hotel pool . . . far away from jelly fish!
This upcoming weekend, Jill and I have to teach Saturday classes in the morning. Four foreign teachers a week have to teach on Saturdays. With the rotation, it works out to be about 3 times during the year. I am hoping to meet Ilda and Louis at a night market on Friday. On Saturday afternoon, we all might go to MBK, a vendor mall. This is where I bought all 9 seasons of Seinfeld – yes ALL 9, and no, I’m not obsessed – okay, yes I am. I love that show! I got all 9 for $100 cdn, but I justified it (yes Leah – just for you), that at home, I’d pay $50 per season. On Sunday, we plan to go to that humongous market – Chatachuk . . . . again. Hoping to see more than last time I went!
We have booked flights for Christmas and New Year’s . . . . so looking forward to being on the beach, since I can’t spend it with family. We also booked flights for long weekends in December and February. Needless to say, this has been an expensive few days!
Anyways, I shall stop my babbling. Stay well.
I just wanted to check in . . . hope all is well with everyone.
Wow! I can’t believe I’ve been here for 2 months already! I just got my uniform yesterday . . . we were fitted last week. I decided to get 3 shirts and 2 skirts. They are really well made and the shirts have the Lertlah logo on them . . . now I look like ‘part of the team’ around here.
I am finally working with students now. I am the resource/reading teacher for grade 1 to 6. I’m working with 5 students per class and they come to see me once/week (not nearly enough!). My plan is to do phonological work, conversational practice, and reading. So far, I’ve assessed all the students that I will be working with and it’s been interesting to see their abilities. I hope that the students will feel more comfortable in a small group setting and will therefore take risks when using the English language. It has been a bit of a struggle to determine what exactly they’re trying to say, especially with the younger students! The older students are fun – a bit more confident with the language and more willing to express themselves.
Every morning, the students assemble outside and say their pledges and sing the song of the king. Once a week, us foreign teachers have to go out to do an English activity for ALL the students. I did this during October camp and enjoyed it. Nicole suckered me into helping her last week and I was such a nerd. We have to speak into a microphone and it’s broadcast inside the school and out. We played “Miss Krista says . . .” (my own take on Simon Says). It was fun. Nicole said that I really worked the mic . . . . and one of her students said I was silly. I’ve been nominated to do the activity everyday now . . . not sure if that’s good or bad! But now, the students recognize me in the halls and “wai” me or give me a high five and greet me. So cute!
This past weekend, we went to Hua Hin, which is about 3 hours away. We went there for my first weekend away. It’s quite nice, though the water reminds me of a salty Lake Winnipeg. . . . not nearly as clear as other beaches we’ve visited. Kelly got stung on the face by a jelly fish, we used vinegar to ease the pain. We went to a night market and on Sunday, we hung out at the hotel pool . . . far away from jelly fish!
This upcoming weekend, Jill and I have to teach Saturday classes in the morning. Four foreign teachers a week have to teach on Saturdays. With the rotation, it works out to be about 3 times during the year. I am hoping to meet Ilda and Louis at a night market on Friday. On Saturday afternoon, we all might go to MBK, a vendor mall. This is where I bought all 9 seasons of Seinfeld – yes ALL 9, and no, I’m not obsessed – okay, yes I am. I love that show! I got all 9 for $100 cdn, but I justified it (yes Leah – just for you), that at home, I’d pay $50 per season. On Sunday, we plan to go to that humongous market – Chatachuk . . . . again. Hoping to see more than last time I went!
We have booked flights for Christmas and New Year’s . . . . so looking forward to being on the beach, since I can’t spend it with family. We also booked flights for long weekends in December and February. Needless to say, this has been an expensive few days!
Anyways, I shall stop my babbling. Stay well.

2 Comments:
Hi Krista;
We just received your Oct. 29 Postcard. The kids really enjoy hearing from you and thought you were really brave to tackle that big mountain hike! Sounds like you have lots planned for the Christmas season. Have a great time and take care!
Caron Procak (M.L.)
By
Anonymous, at 6:23 AM
Yes, yes I do enjoy a good justification! I'm glad you finally have a uniform and you can match everyone else! I can just imagine you on the mic..."Krista Says....act like a monkey!" It sounds like you have got some interesting plans in the works for Christmas and New Years, I look forward to hearing all about your green Christmas.
Later!
Love Leah.
-ps-have fun shopping at all the huge markets!!
By
Anonymous, at 8:02 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home