Krista in Thailand

Monday, November 27, 2006

Bangkok Buzz . . .


Hi Everyone!

Sorry that it’s been awhile since my last update . . .

School has been going well, it's really nice to be working with the students. I’ve had 2 evaluations and during my first one, I was working with Grade 4 students and one of their cell phones went off! These kids are 10 years old! It was so funny! After my 3-month mark, I’m officially off of probation, which is exciting for Jill, as she will get $100 Cdn for “recruiting” me!

For the last 2 Saturdays, I have taught Saturday Class from 9 to 12. It’s a little extra money, which is nice, but I’m definitely not a big fan of these classes. I thought it would be conversation-based, but it’s a textbook/workbook thing. It’s nice because we don’t have to plan for these days, but it’s frustrating because there’s no guidance to instruction and I think it’s a waste for the students to sit and do worksheets. This past week, I came prepared with some games and fun activities . . . so I enjoyed it better than my first Saturday class.

We went down to Khoa San Road on Saturday with teachers from a few Lertlah schools. We hung out at a full-functioning Shell gas station! It’s actually in operation during the day . . . . and at night, there are tables set up all over the place with music pumping and candles – right beside the gas pumps! It’s quite the sight!

Yesterday, Jill, Kristen, Nicole and I went on a river tour of Bangkok. It was on the Chao Phraya Tourist Boat and cost 100baht (about $3cdn) for the entire day. There were 13 stops along the river, where we could get off and wander around that specific part of Bangkok. We had a late start, so we only did 2 stops. We went to China Town, where there was a huge market and we bought the tiniest oranges – they remind me of mandarin oranges, but are slightly bigger than a toonie. They are delicious! And it really makes me think of home, especially as we get closer to Christmas! Our next stop was Wat Pho – the oldest and largest wat in Bangkok. It features the largest reclining Buddha in Thailand – 46 meters long and 15 meters high! It was really neat to see! The temple is really quite beautiful – so much detail!

Take care and stay warm!

3 Comments:

  • Hi Krista
    Sounds like your into a routine now, and no more travel for awhile. But it sounds like you have been seeing lots in Bangkok which is fun exploring. We want to see pictures of you in your school uniform,would you please add the to your photos. How hot is it getting to now? Love you bunches
    Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:47 AM  

  • Krista,
    LOVE your PHOTOS!Expecially the sunrise/set pics at Mount Kinabalu! Keep them coming. It is awesome being able to do a job you love and get to see other places and different experiences at the same time! Really look forward to reading about your adventures and LOVE to see the photos.
    Take care . . . your cousin
    Jacqueline

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:24 AM  

  • Hey Krista!!!

    The Saturday classes do not sound like tons of fun, but it is a good excuse to stay in the (smelly) city and experience different things. Have you visited Patpong yet?!!? And one day for fun..or aggrevation, take a tuk-tuk around for a few hours to check out a different point of view. Check out his friends shops! hehehe. Same Same, but different!

    Later!
    Love Leah.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home